Give us a call today: 613-791-5777 for a free upfront estimate!
Stopping an overflowing toilet needs quick thinking and very fast action. The good news is that if you know what to do when you have a sewer backup in Ottawa, it’s not a very difficult thing to handle. Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Carefully remove the toilet tank’s lid and set it aside and ensure you place it somewhere secure.
- Now reach inside the tank and press down slowly on the flapper valve. This is the rubber piece located right at the center of the bottom of your tank. Doing this stops more water from flowing into the bowl and helps prevent it from flowing over the sides as well.
- Stop the toilet tank from filling by quickly lifting up the float that controls the fill valve. Once the main water supply is cut off, the level of water in the bowl should begin to drop steadily.
- Let go of this float and then allow the bowl to refill without worrying about an overflow. Keep an eye on the water level so you can quickly stop it in case the level begins to rise.
- If the level of the water doesn’t begin to drop after about one minute, continue holding the float and then shut off the water from the toilet’s supply valve.
Once the overflow has stopped:
- Stop using all the sinks, toilets as well as the other plumbing fixtures.
- Attempt using a plunger to see if you are able to clear any blockages from your drain.
- Try to locate the root of the problem; start from the fixtures in your bathroom and then work your way up. Get someone to do the same with the toilets in the upper stories of your home if there are any.
- If the blockage is only in one toilet, you don’t have to be concerned about the rest of the installations.
- However, if multiple toilets have been impacted, there may be major drain clogs Ottawa that only a skilled plumber would be able to repair.
If you are unable to get the clog out using a plunger, simply call us to fix the problem. We are the plumbing experts that can handle all types of drain blocks and sewer repair problems. For more information call the experts at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services on 613 791 5777 or contact us through this form today!