What Steps Should You Take If the Basement Is Flooded?
One of the worst things you can experience as a homeowner is a flooded basement. If you face a flooding emergency scenario, we at Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing recommend following these five steps:
Step #1. Shut Off Failed Plumbing
Most cases of basement flooding stem from heavy rains that cause groundwater flooding. Plumbing failure can also lead to emergency flooding situations.
If you experience plumbing failure, turn off the failed plumbing immediately. You’ll need to be careful to avoid being electrified or contaminated by bacteria or viruses. So, avoid getting wet if at all possible.
Step #2. Contact a Disaster Restoration Professional
It’s also important that you contact a disaster restoration professional. They understand the ins and outs of pumping out water, drying out homes, and addressing any rot or mold problems. In order to avoid mold growth, have a disaster restoration expert visit your home within two days of the incident.
Step #3. Secure Your Personal Property
When it’s safe to do so, remove your personal property. Beware of unsafe conditions caused by electricity or raw sewage. You may also want to take pictures of any damage. Your insurer will want to see evidence of damage caused by the flooding.
Step #4. Contact Your Insurance Provider
If your homeowner’s insurance coverage includes flooding, contact your insurer. The company will explain your options and let you know what to do when you meet with your contractors.
Step #5. Research Waterproofing Options
The next step is to research companies that specialize in basement waterproofing. Look into the products they offer and how these products compare to other products on the market. Find out their ratings, look at online reviews, and ask people you know for recommendations. When you find a contractor that fits the bill, ask if their staff members are fully insured.
Emergency Flooding Help from Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services
When you face a flooding situation or water damage, you need to act promptly. At Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services, we offer round-the-clock emergency services. So, whether day or night, we can dispatch a team of expert restorers to your home. They’ll arrive within one hour after your call.
We provide complete restoration services in and around Ottawa. You can count on us to help with water damage repair, water extraction, structural drying, or sewer backup decontamination.
Flooding Emergency Service Cost
The plumber cost for flood damage cleanup can range from $4.00 to $10.00 per square foot. However, the expense could go well beyond that if there is standing or contaminated water. If more materials and equipment are needed, the cost could climb even more.
What Causes Basement Flooding?
- House constructed in an unsuitable area. If a home’s lot grading is not designed well, surface drainage will be directed toward the residence. This can lead to flooding. Fixing the problem will involve reshaping the yard so that water flows away from, rather than toward, the house.
- Walls and floors sealed improperly. If the walls and floor aren’t properly waterproofed, water leakage and flooding are possible.
- Gutter clogged. If the gutters and downspouts are clogged up by leaves or debris, they may overflow during heavy rainfall. The water will eventually seep through the soil close to the house’s foundation and infiltrate the basement. Cleaning out the gutter system at least once annually will help prevent this problem.
- Sewer backup. If the sewer system becomes inundated with wastewater or stormwater, the water can back up into the home through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. Installing backwater valves can prevent backflows.
- Sump pump failure. Sump pumps are designed to protect basements from flooding. Homeowners need to inspect, clean out, and test sump pumps routinely. This will reduce the odds of them malfunctioning.
How to Prevent Basement Flooding – Measures for Future Protection
If you want to lessen the odds of experiencing stormwater flooding, consider the following tips:
- Check for leaks in the foundation, walls, windows, and floors. Repair leaks.
- Ensure the ground slopes away from the exterior walls of your residence. This might require working on your lot grading.
- Avoid creating a dam situation where water is retained near your home. So, be careful with your gardens.
- Remove leaves, dirt, and other things from your downspouts and your eaves. troughs. The downspouts should be directed no less than least six feet away from your residence.
No one wants to experience a flooding scenario. If you do face this unfortunate situation, the five tips mentioned above will help you get the flooding emergency service your need. You can count on us at Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing to help with all of your plumbing needs.
Why Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services?
Many companies offer licensed plumbers, but Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services also offers respect for your home and your time as our standard. This means from the time you call us, we are committed to making your entire experience as customer friendly as possible. We coordinate times that work with your schedule and call when we’re on our way. Our plumbers keep our areas neat and covered while working. In our projects, we use the most appropriate solutions to work quickly and efficiently.
Our strengths do not only lie in plumbing. We can also help to navigate the insurance companies and city red tape. You will receive all the necessary permits for our jobs. We will guide you through the City of Ottawa rebates for which you qualify.
Our customers love us, and our work is the best quality. Stop by our testimonials page, then give us a call to set up your free, no-obligation inspection.