Give us a call today: 613-791-5777 for a free upfront estimate!
Downspouts are an essential part of the roof drainage system as they carry water from the roof, down the siding, and towards the storm drains. Without gutters and downspouts, the rainwater and snowmelt will run down your siding and soak the ground by the foundation walls. This can lead to basement floods, leakages, and water damage. If your downspout drains are too short and release water close to the foundation walls, you need to extend them. Here are some tips on how to achieve this:
1.Add an Extension
You can add new downspout pipes that match the size and look of your existing ones. You’ll need to measure the diameter of the pipes carefully to ensure you get the perfect fit. Loose-fitting pipes will leak and spread water close to the foundation walls. If aesthetics don’t matter to you, you can purchase a simple extension pipe, attach it to the downspout, and direct it towards the closest storm drain. This extension will be above ground and will stand out like a sore thumb. It’s not a durable solution but it works very well as a temporary fix.
2.Add an Underground Extension
If you want a finished and more discreet look, you can use an adaptor and a second downspout pipe to extend the drain. The second pipe would be buried under the soil and will direct water towards the main drains. Here’s what you need to do:
- Measure, mark, and dig a trench near from the downspout towards the main storm drains.
- Lay the new downspout pipes by the trench for easy access during installation.
- Attach a well-fitting starter elbow to the existing downspout drains on your property.
- Connect the new downspout pipe to the elbow with the help of an adapter and reducer. The reducer will decrease water pressure and ensure your new pipes don’t burst or crack. Add as many pipes as you need to reach the storm drains.
- Once all the pipes are attached and the connections are sealed, cover the trenches and landscape according to your preferences.
This is a permanent way to keep the water away from your lawn, garden, and foundation walls. You won’t face any problems with flooding and muddy lawns unless the downspout drain is damaged and leaking.
Our expert plumbers at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services will be happy to answer any questions you have so give them a call at 613 791 5777.