Give us a call today: 613-791-5777 for a free upfront estimate!
A bathtub is an expensive installation and while ones of good brands will last for a very long time without becoming damaged, there are times when they can suffer an impact and get chipped. Fortunately, there are a number of solutions available on the market to fix chipped porcelain and enamel; in fact, you will find products that can be used to fix bathtubs made of fiber as well. And since bathtubs come in a range of colors these products are available in different colors too. Here are some tips to follow while fixing a chipped bathtub:
- Before you begin, ensure the chip is dry & clean.
- Apply the special filling compound from your repair kit as per the instructions on the label.
- Some kits will require you to mix a hardener with the compound before application.
- Mix only the amount you need to fill up the chipped area in stages; this ensures you don’t have to remove too much excess.
- You can use a small spatula to fill the compound into the chipped spot and then scrape off all the excess.
- Allow the compound to dry as per the instructions on the pack and then apply another thin layer if required.
- Once the entire chip is filled, use a fine-grade sandpaper to smoothen the surface. Some of the repair kits have the right sandpaper in them; but if they don’t, you can start with a sandpaper of 200-400 grit and then work that up to a finer grit like 2,000.
- If you have a buffing wheel at home, use that to polish off the filling; this will provide a very good, professional-looking finish.
If you are fixing a fiber bathtub, make sure you buy a resin that’s specifically used for that material. As you can see, fixing a chipped bathtub isn’t too difficult, but it requires a certain amount of time and patience. If you don’t have the time or you aren’t too confident about doing the job right, you can always call in a local plumber that also handles bathroom renovations in Ottawa, to fix the chipped bathtub for you.
We are the plumbing experts that can handle all types of bathtub repairs, bathroom renovations, and other plumbing jobs. For more information call the experts at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services on 613 791 5777 or contact us through this form today!