Give us a call today: 613-791-5777 for a free upfront estimate!
Until a few years ago, basements were empty storage spaces but that’s no longer the case. Modern homeowners utilize every bit of space available to them productively and that includes the basement. Many people convert this room into a game or entertainment area and some even use it as a bedroom. That’s why basement flooding is such a big concern these days. It can ruin expensive furniture, entertainment devices, and flooring. Here’s a small guide on how to deal with this problem:
Causes of Basement Floods
Basement floods can happen due to a number of reasons and in most cases, it’s related to your plumbing system. Listed below are some of the common causes of basement floods:
- Bad roof drainage
- Weak and cracked foundation walls
- Poor grading along the foundation walls
- High water table
- Sewer backup
- Leaking pipes
When you are dealing with your basement flooding, you need to call a plumber immediately. The flood water needs to be cleared immediately in order to avoid extensive damage and plumbers will have the right tools accomplish that.
How to Clean Up After a Basement Flood?
- Remove the Items – The first step is to remove all of your expensive devices and furniture from the basement before the flood water causes more damage. Your plumber can help with that.
- Clear the Flood Water – The next step is to remove the flood water. Plumbers will use efficient pumps to draw all of the water from the basement to a different location. They will do this in a clean, organized fashion to ensure there’s no damage to your property.
- Repair the Problem – Water will just seep back into the basement is the problem isn’t addressed immediately. A good plumber will inspect your plumbing system, foundation walls, and landscaping around the basement before they recommend a solution.
- Remove the Moisture – You should clear the moisture and humidity from your basement immediately after the plumbers repair the problem. You can use industrial fans and dehumidifiers to remove all access moisture. You can also open any windows you might have to let natural sunlight in. If you allow the moisture to linger, your basement would develop mold and that would affect your health.
Expert plumbers at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services will be happy to answer any questions you have so give them a call at 613 791 5777 or contact them through the contact form today!